Tuesday, June 14, 2011

If it's sweet, it's not breakfast!

At least that's what this month's Self magazine says.

And how true it is!!  When we eat sugar, our bodies naturally crave more sugar.  There was once upon a time where I could put away a few donuts for breakfast.   And by a few, I mean more than 3.  If people weren't watching, those 3 donuts would turn to 6.   Then a few hours later, another.  You get my point.

See that evil one in the middle...   that's a chocolate iced, creme filled Krispy Kreme donut.  MY FAVORITE!!!

Being "with the band" I couldnt eat a donut if I wanted to.   One of the many benefits of having this awesome tool inside me!

There are days I'd kill for a donut, danish, or even a bagel toasted with cream cheese, but those days are long gone.   I struggle with breakfast on a daily basis.  During my 100 lb weight loss journey, I would eat nothing but oatmeal for breakfast.  But let's face it, it's loaded with sugar, not enough fiber and next to no protein.   I'm not an eggs and bacon fan either.   That's also really hard to re-heat and eat at work.  It never tastes nearly as good as if it were fresh.

That brings me to this question... what do YOU eat for breakfast?    This week it's been a Dannon light and fit vanilla yogurt (80 calories) with 2 oz sliced strawberries (20 calories) and topped with 1/4 cup low fat granola for added crunch (100 calories).  A 200 calorie breakfast isn't a bad way to start the day, but I love variety, so this is where I need some help.

On to today's stats...

Breakfast - yogurt/granola/berries
Lunch - romaine lettuce mix topped with La Choy Chow Mein noodles and 4 tbsp Panera Fat Free Poppyseed dressing
Snack - 5 oz sliced strawberries
Dinner - 4 oz grilled teriyaki chicken breast, chopped and put on the same salad as above


GYM: 3 mile run, followed by arms/back/shoulders for a total burn of 818 calories (70 minutes)

After the gym - 1 glass pinot grigio

Total cals -1402 NET 584
carbs -157
protein - 57 grams

4 comments:

  1. Perfect topic. I may have given up (refined) sugar but I still love sweet :)

    I have been eating these. I add 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup to the batch. Very easy to make half a batch too. You can eat them as is.. heat in the toaster oven or slice the muffin and pop it in the toaster (that's what I do) or nuke for like 10 seconds.

    http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/pancake-and-sausage-muffins

    I alternate between that and an egg on whole wheat toast. If I don't eat it at home I fry it and bring it to work in a tupperware. Microwave for 22 sec and then put it on my toast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh Carolyn I'm totally gonna make these this weekend for next week!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love Fage Greek yogurt, fat free of course! I add a tablespoon of sliced almonds and a bit of fruit, a couple peach slices are the shit!
    My old standby is 2 hardboiled eggs- plain and boring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I could eat it any time of day. I love to scramble egg whites mixed with onions, green and red peppers (or only green if thats all I have on hand) and mushrooms. I eat that with a bagel thin or a piece of toast. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete