Monday, September 26, 2011

Weigh in Monday and a FREE recipe!!

Hey ladies!!

Today was weigh-in day.. and while I wasn't expecting much of an improvement from my horrendous weigh in last week, I was pleasantly surprised to see a 5 lb loss this morning.  

(Ignore my jacked up polish on my toes... I have the new "closed toe shoe" policy at work to thank for that.)


Down to 223, from 228.  While the good news is that I'm down 5 lbs in a week, the bad news is that I'm still up 12 lbs from my lowest.  Boo!!!   But - moving in the right direction, so I'll take it.

This weeks goal.. In addition to 5 days at the gym (300 minutes for those of you counting)  I'm aiming for 220, a 3 lb loss by next Monday.

Thanks to my friend Pam, I'm also signing up to run my first 5K, on October 29.  The "Monster Mash Dash". I guess I'll stop smoking for real this time...  Anyway - I signed up for Komen back in June, but as some of you may remember, I had a little drunken mishap and fell (slid) down a flight of stairs, injuring my tailbone and I was unable to run it.

Moving on.. at the request of most of you, here's the soup recipe.

Yesterday I noticed I had some potatoes that I had to use, so I decided to make a loaded  potato soup.   We just dont eat potatoes in my house quick enough.  Never thought that'd be an issue, but it is.  Anyway...   I Googled a few recipes, and they all called for stuff I didn't have in the house, and I was not running to the store to purchase anything additional.   So - this is what I came up with...

Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
  • 5 russet potatoes (sliced long ways, then chopped into cubes)
  • 1 cup shredded carrots (because all I had was 1 cup, however I wouldve added more)
  • 1 cup broccoli florets (again.. same as the carrots, I wouldve added more)
  • 4 cups skim milk (instead of heavy cream)
  • 2 packets Lipton Onion Soup Mix
  • minced garlic (I used one whole clove, I LOOOOOVE me some garlic)
  • 1 stick of butter (sliced into pats)
  • Creole white gravy mix (instead of flour)
  • Ragu Cheese sauce

  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Chop your potatoes, place in the crockpot.

Mince your garlic and add it to 4 cups skim milk, along with 2 packets of Lipton Onion Soup Mix, 1 cup Ragu cheese sauce, and 1/4 cup Creole Gravy mix, whisk and pour over potatoes.  Stir ingredients together.
Add your shredded carrots and broccoli florets, then lastly top everything with your butter pats.

I cooked this soup on high for 2 hours, just until the potatoes were soft enough to mash.  I only mashed some of them, and didn't mash them all the way (if that makes sense).   I changed it to the low setting for another 4 hours and it was perfect.  

This made 12 cups of soup.   I figured it out to be roughly 250 calories per cup, which is about the same as a cup of soup from Panera.   The Broccoli Cheddar is 200 calories and the Creamy Tomato is 300 calories per cup.  Both of them are my favorites, so this isn't too shabby.  I added some shredded cheddar today when I heated it up for lunch, and it was delish!

I put 6 cups (2 cups each) into containers for lunches this week, then I froze the other 6 cups.  

Enjoy!

As always... thanks for reading guys!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment