Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sunday Q&A

First off, Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there!

I haven't blogged in a few days.. .mostly because I've been busy, and pre-occupied, and also eating non-stop for 2 days doesnt help.  I went to the gym yesterday, but drank beer all day... then skipped it today, and drank beer and ate bbq all day today.   It happens from time to time, and for me it seems that it happens more often than not.  I really gotta knock that shit off.

Anyway...   onto Sunday's Q&A

"How do you find so much time for the gym?"

I don't find the time. I MAKE the time.  There's a difference.  I make the gym part of my daily routine.  It's that simple.   I'm a mom and wife of a husband who works retail, and works mostly nights.  So, I leave work, pick my daughter up from school then go to the gym.   There are many gyms out there that offer free child care during evening hours.  Take advantage of it!   I sometimes feel guilty for dragging her there so damn much, but let's face it... I'm improving my health, which in turn will provide me longer life and more years for her in the future.   It's an hour a day.  And most of the time, I only go 5 days a week, 2 of those days being on the weekends. 

Make yourself a priority!

Make time for YOU!

Because frankly, saying "I dont have the time" is a bullshit excuse.   Get up an hour earlier for work, or go right after work.   If you go home first, chances are... you'll change, or sit down, or feed the kids and never make it back out of the house. Trust me, I know.  I was that person.

"Do you/have you ever compared the calorie burn on your heart rate monitor vs the machines at the gym?"

YES!! And this was the MAIN reason I bought a heart rate monitor in the first place.   The machines are all different.  NONE of them are accurate.  And if they are accurate, then you're in the "normal to average" weight range.  The "calculators" on the machines are built for people within a normal, healthy weight range.  I find that some machines are calculating really low, and some machines are very high, and either way, I don't trust them.   If you really wonder about what you're burning, then invest in a heart rate monitor.  I use a Polar F6.  I've had it for 3 years.  It was $110.00, and I replaced the battery last month for $11.95.  I do not work out without it.  


"When you play outside with your daughter, or clean the house do you track it as exercise?"

NO!    I only count calories burned from "real" exercise.    By "real", I mean getting my HR up and sweating.  If I'm not breathing heavy, and I'm not sweating, then it's not exercise.

"Do you go to classes at your gym?".

Not really.  I used to often, but then I realized that I burn more calories on my own, by kicking my own ass than in a class.   Mostly because I dont stop.   The only class that I burn a ton of calories in, is Spinning. I LOVE Spinning because its high intensity and non stop.  It's great cardio and a great option to tone your lower body.   I used to go to Body Pump a few times a week ,and really liked it but there are too many "pauses" and changing weights, etc.  I like to keep my heart rate up in between sets so I work my upper body on my own and do a set of 10 sumo squats, and 10 dips in between each set of reps.

I hate Step, Pilates, Yoga, and Zumba.   They're just not for me.

That's it for this week.  I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend.  Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. I loove Pilates and yoga. Zumba scares me! Happy mother's day :)

    ReplyDelete