Anyway - so since I'm into making my own soups these days, what better soup to make than butternut squash soup.
Again, I took a recipe I found and tweaked it to my needs.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (I used one large squash)
- 6 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (I used more)
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 4 stalks celery (chopped)
- 4 large carrots (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender, then add garlic
- Add celery and carrots, squash, apple, chicken broth, salt, pepper, sage and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Puree squash/soup mixture and cream cheese in a blender or food processor (I use a blender because I dont have a food processor yet) in batches until smooth. Return to saucepan, but make sure the burner is off. There is no need to keep cooking.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream! Enjoy!