Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday Q&A

To eat or not to eat... that is the question.

Well... kinda.

This weeks question comes from my friend Kim.   She wanted to know if I eat before the gym, and the best options for pre-fitness fuel.

During the week, I go to the gym after work, so I've fueled my body all day with breakfast, lunch and snacks.  My afternoon snack is usually around 2:30-3:00, and I'm in the gym by 4:30-5:00.  So as far as eating for fuel before the gym, during the week I have that covered.

The weekends however, are another story.  I would definitely recommend eating something before the gym, in the form of a good carbohydrate.  Your body uses carbs as fuel and helps burn off stored fat when you work out.   I like to get to the gym early on the weekends, right after my coffee.  My band can't tolerate food early in the morning, so the whole eating before I work out thing gets thrown out the window.  But, for those of you that aren't band patients, then it is in fact ideal for you to eat before.

I found this website when looking for good sources of complex carbs.  If you're not sure what the difference is, see the link below.   Anyway - this website is a great reference when talking about using food as fuel, what it does for your body and how different foods function in your body during your work out.

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/3644.html

Difference between complex and simplex carbs

Kim - I hope this answers your question!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment